Oak Hill Hospital is the first hospital in the area to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its Hip & Knee replacement program.
Spring Hill, Florida (July 18, 2012) – Oak Hill Hospital announces that it has earned an additional certification from The Joint Commission. Its Orthopaedic & Spine Institute is the first orthopaedic program in the region to earn The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for its hip and knee replacement program by demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission’s National Standards for healthcare quality and safety in disease-specific care. The certification award recognizes Oak Hill Hospital’s dedication to continuous compliance with The Joint Commission’s state-of-the-art standards.
Oak Hill Hospital underwent a rigorous on-site survey on June 29. The Joint Commission evaluated Oak Hill Hospital’s Orthopaedic & Spine Institute for compliance with standards of care specific to the needs of patients and families, including infection prevention and control, leadership and medication management.
“With Joint Commission certification, we are making a significant investment in quality on a day-to-day basis from the top down. Joint Commission accreditation provides us a framework to take our organization to the next level and helps create a culture of excellence,” says Mickey Smith, Oak Hill Hospital CEO. “Achieving Joint Commission certification in hip and knee replacement, for our organization, is a major step toward maintaining excellence and continuing improving the care we provide.”
The Joint Commission’s Disease-Specific Care Certification Program, launched in 2002, is designed to evaluate clinical programs across the continuum of care. Certification requirements address three core areas: compliance with consensus-based national standards; effective use of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines to manage and optimize care; and an organized approach to performance measurement and improvement activities.
Founded in 1951, The Joint Commission seeks to continuously improve healthcare for the public, in collaboration with other stakeholders, by evaluating health care organizations and inspiring them to excel in providing safe and effective care of the highest quality and value. The Joint Commission currently certifies more than 2,000
disease-specific care programs, focused on the care of patients with chronic illnesses such as stroke, joint replacement, stroke rehabilitation, heart failure and many others. The Joint Commission also provides healthcare staffing services certification for more than 750 staffing offices. An independent, not-for-profit organization, The Joint Commission is the nation’s oldest and largest standards-setting and accrediting body in health care. For more about The Joint Commission at www.jointcommission.org.
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984. It is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus County (234 acute care beds), is one of the area’s largest private employers, and offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including open heart surgery. Approximately 300 physicians, 950 associates, and over 350 volunteers comprise Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team.
Oak Hill has achieved distinction as the:
- First and only open heart surgery hospital in Hernando County.
- First Chest Pain Center with PCI (heart catheterization) in Hernando County accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- First and Only advanced level primary stroke center in Hernando County to be fully accredited by the Joint Commission, the leading accreditor of health care organizations in America.
- First comprehensive Women’s Imaging Center in Hernando County and the first imaging center offering digital mammography with computer aided detection.
- First hospital in the area to be recognized as an accredited cancer institute by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
- First hospital in the region to achieve Heart Failure accreditation with the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- First hospital in the region to offer a comprehensive Orthopaedic & Spine Institute and first to achieve national certification by The Joint Commission for its Hip & Knee replacement program.
- Only Emergency Care Center in Florida, and one of only 20 nationwide, honored by the Emergency Nurses Association for its first-ever Lantern Award exemplifying exceptional and innovative performance in the core areas of leadership, practice, education, advocacy, and research.
- Only hospital in Hernando and Citrus Counties that is recognized as one of the nation’s top performers on four key quality measures – heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – by The Joint Commission.
It is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Spring Hill, 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 orRichard.Linkul@hcahealthcare.com. In Citrus call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or like us on Facebook.